“I believe that through early engagement, clear communication and a collaborative and trusted approach with key stakeholders, we are better positioned than most to deliver tailored solutions for our clients to preserve and enhance viability of their businesses.”
Previously with Ferrier Hodgson and KPMG, Tom has more than 19 years’ experience in assisting businesses in distress and providing corporate restructuring advice. He has been involved in several complex and significant formal restructuring and recovery matters – several of which have been based in the energy & resources sectors.
- Salt Lake Potash Limited: ASX Potash Miner. Appointed as one of the joint and several administrators by the board of directors.
- Alita Resources Limited: ASX Lithium Miner. Managed the successful transition of the mining operations into care & maintenance and the facilitation of the repayment in full of the secured creditors’ loan in the amount of USD $32m.
- Eastern Goldfields Limited (Now Ora Banda): ASX Gold Miner with operations on care & maintenance. Executed a Deed of Company Arrangement (DOCA) and worked with the key stakeholders to complete a $30m capital raising that resulted in the Company being recapitalised and relisting on the ASX. The restructure included the resolution of a number of long-standing plaints on key tenements.
- Bell Group NV- Complex litigation in regard to recovery of monies ($1.9bn) from the Bell Group Estate. Assisted the liquidator of the largest creditor and worked with a litigation funding party to successfully recover significant funds on behalf of the estate.
- Outback Travel Centres Pty Ltd- Operated four regional based petrol stations while successfully completing the divestment of the same over a 6-month period.
- Triton Minerals Limited- ASX listed graphite explorer with assets in Mozambique. Executed a DOCA that paid creditors out 100% plus interest and recapitalised and relisted the Company on the ASX with a new cornerstone investor.
- Great Southern Limited: Publicly-listed provider of agricultural MIS. Complex administration involving the appointment of Receivers and Managers over the parent and certain subsidiaries. Managed the realisation of over 40 agricultural properties across Australia, several of which were encumbered by schemes.
- Western Desert Limited: ASX Iron Ore Miner. Managed the successful transition of the mining operations into care & maintenance. Significant engagement with contractors, employees, mining departments and native title groups to construct purpose-built dams, levees and bunds to prepare the site for the wet season.
Areas of experience
- Recapitalising and relisting ASX listed mining and energy entities through Deeds of Company Arrangements and Creditor Trusts, several of which had operations in overseas jurisdictions.
- Implementing and managing turnaround strategies, including divestment of significant portfolios of assets in the agricultural and resource sectors.
- Completing independent business reviews on behalf of banks, private equity funds and sophisticated investors.
- Independent safe harbour and solvency advice for ASX listed boards.
- Buy-side advisory strategies for resource clients seeking to acquire assets from insolvent companies.
- Investigating claims on behalf of creditors and stakeholders, including litigation funders.
- Communication with large creditor and stakeholder groups.
- Corporate restructuring and operational advice.
- Financial due diligence and investigative reports.
- International restructuring.
- Specific industries include: Energy & Mining, Property, Agriculture, Managed Investment Schemes.
Education and accreditation
- Registered Liquidator
- Insolvency Education Program (ARITA)
- Chartered Accountant
- Bachelor of Commerce in Accounting and Banking
- Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand
In the Community
- Completion of the Hawaiian Ride for Youth Charity Event for the prevention of youth suicide and depression, including fundraising initiatives from 2017 to 2020 with the Azure Capital sponsored riding team
- Former treasure of Trinity Aquinas Amateur Football Club