Stephen is a registered liquidator with over 13 years of restructuring and insolvency experience in both Australia and overseas, working in a major accounting firm, a big 4 Australian bank and also within the public sector.
Stephen specialises in managing deliverables for formal and informal assignments on behalf of major banking clients, private equity funds and distressed or insolvent entities.
Stephen has extensive experience in working with financial institutions and underperforming businesses to formulate strategies with the ultimate goal of preserving and enhancing the value of businesses during times of distress.
Stephen also has significant experience in the management of large complex insolvency and restructuring engagements across a wide range of industries.
- Project Moon (Oil, Gas and Property) – Global restructuring engagement based in the UAE which involved a three phase debt restructure of an international oil trader and property developer on behalf of a syndicate of over 30 European and Gulf lenders
- Darling Downs Fresh Eggs (Agriculture) – Voluntary Administration of Queensland’s third largest egg producer. Going concern sale of the business achieved
- Project Earthworks (Civil Construction) – Distressed refinance and financial modeling / working capital engagement
- Dynamic Group of Companies (Civil Construction) – Voluntary Administration of 5 marine civil and steel fabrication businesses
- Duke Contracting (Civil Construction) – Voluntary Administration and orderly wind-down of a mid-tier civil construction company
- Dose Innovations (Pharmaceutical) – Voluntary Administration of a pharmaceutical dispensary machine distribution and servicing business. Going concern sale of the business achieved
Areas of experience
- Development of turnaround, restructuring and performance improvement strategies
- Developing and executing stakeholder management plans on behalf of distressed companies
- Managing independent business reviews of underperforming entities on behalf of lenders to mitigate risk and loss
- Undertaking financial analytics including, identifying underperformance drivers, reviewing financial forecasts and reports, stress testing and scenario modelling and preparation of integrated forecasts
- Undertaking working capital analysis engagements and assisting distressed entities source alternative capital and lending
- Managing formal insolvency and restructuring appointments
- Specfic industries include: Civil Construction, Building & Construction, Real estate and property development, Professional services, Transport, Retail, Intensive Agriculture, Mining Services, Hotels, Pubs & Clubs, Tourism, Manufacturing, Pharmaceuticals, Management letting rights & rent rolls and Indigenous corporations & councils
Education and accreditation
- Registered Liquidator
- Bachelor of Business Queensland University of Technology; Finance, Economics
- Australian Restructuring Insolvency & Turnaround Association – Advanced education course
- Member CPA Australia
- Member of the Turnaround Management Association Australia (TMA)